Reference Number: APCR504
Type of Job: Contract/Permanent
Our client is one of the largest automotive manufacturers in the world with operations in both the UK and China. With 2012 vehicle sales in excess of 4.5 million they have ambitious growth plans to build on their past success through the development and introduction of class leading products. In order to achieve its growth plans, our client is seeking to strengthen its engineering team through the recruitment of highly competent professionals to join existing teams working on current and future engineering projects of strategic importance to the Company.
They currently have an opportunity for a Closures Engineer to support the Closures Manager on development of all closures projects, leading small groups of engineers to develop optimised solutions and rapidly improve local capability.
- Lead small teams of engineers, giving detailed technical guidance for closures development, liaising with CAE, Manufacturing and other engineering functions to develop engineering feasibility.
- Help develop skills and ensure high-quality solutions are generated for all closures engineering related activities including, glass drops, closure swings, style feasibility, door hinge and latch positioning and development, etc.
- Support creation of 3D data and 2D drawings using CATIA V5 and other Engineering development tools.
- Support and negotiate styling and design requirements with Design Studio and Manufacturing for vehicle development.
- Support cost/mass targets setting and focused management of status v. targets for all body closure systems.
- Create a robust and clear communication link to the UK technical centre.
- Support vehicle and component development to meet SAIC development process milestones.
- Support report creation for presentations to senior management teams.
- Benchmark competitive vehicles for trends, support vehicle teardown activities to analyze components and report findings, including extensive benchmarking knowledge.
- Extensive knowledge of benchmark competitor vehicle solutions
- Knowledge of mechanical, industrial, manufacturing or stamping engineering design and processes.
- Perform additional projects as assigned.
- Some internal China and international travel may be required.
- Problem resolution and route cause analysis skills.
- Support late evening phone conferences with the UK
- In-depth experience in body engineering, CAD and CATIA V5
- Design for Six Sigma knowledge or qualification required – full training will be provided by the company