Ref No: APCR454
Job Type: PERMANENT
Our client is one of the largest automotive manufacturers in the world with operations in both the UK and China. With 2012 vehicle sales in excess of 4.5 million they have ambitious growth plans to build on their past success through the development and introduction of class leading products. In order to achieve its growth plans, our client is seeking to strengthen its engineering team through the recruitment of highly competent professionals to join existing teams working on current and future engineering projects of strategic importance to the Company.
They are looking for a “Performance Engineer” who will be responsible for the Performance and Economic attributes of the new Gasoline Engine Families.
- Guide and Instruct the selected test facility personnel in order to improve the engine design through test techniques, with a focus on full load performance, steady state calibration and fuel economy.
- Instigate change in terms of the Performance and Economy work, identify the correct predictive tools, justify them and raise the necessary purchase orders. Then implement their use.
- Instigate a ‘smarter’ way of testing, use a Design Of Experiments approach to reduce the actual test duration and hence offer the business a cost saving.
- Validate fuel economy improvement claims using the predictive tools use the results to help define the technology roll out plan.
- Drive the business to become more vehicle attributes led. The vehicle feel should dictate what torque curve is required (for example) rather than the other way round.
- Help to select the technology features that offer CO2 improvements without degrading the vehicle attributes.
- Prioritise workload, ensuring the requirements of the NPI process are achieved.
- Develop skills within the Development team through coaching, including our Chinese colleagues.
- Provide Programme Managers with status reports and resource support within the budget constraints of their approved programmes.
- Determine the priority across projects and ensure that it is conducted in the most efficient manner.
- Ensure that all P&E studies are appropriately documented.
- Make design revision recommendations based on predictive and physical test results.
- Keep abreast of the latest technology and where new techniques are available that would assist the core business prepare justifications for their procurement.
- Make appropriate use of external consultancies.
- Assist in raising the appropriate paperwork for the release of funds for any outsource.
- Ensure that the performance specification is released in time to support the SOP and that it satisfies the PDS
- Use MS Project to track timing against the overall Project plan. Highlight any deviation from plan at the earliest opportunity and instigate recovery plans.
- Experienced in the product development process applicable to Petrol or Diesel engines, having been through the complete process at least twice.
- Degree or equivalent in Mechanical Engineering or Automotive Engineering.
- Proficient in Powertrain P&E Predictive techniques
- Familiar with Bosch EMS.
- Excellent knowledge of the gas exchange process
- Capable of Managing external consultancies, defining the scope and monitoring progress to plan.
- Supplier interface skills.
- Prepared to challenge the ‘status quo’ through an inquisitive nature.
- Attention to detail and good communication skills.
- Ability to plan activities through continually changing priorities whilst recognising the wider business need.
- A team player.
- Enthusiastic, self motivated and determined to succeed.
- Full driving licence.