Type of Job: Contract/Permanent
Our client is one of the largest automotive manufacturers in the world with operations in both the UK and China. They have ambitious growth plans to build on their past success through the development and introduction of class leading products. In order to achieve their growth plans, our client is seeking to strengthen its engineering team through the recruitment of highly competent professionals to join existing teams working on current and future engineering projects of strategic importance to the Company. They are currently recruiting for a Performance Engineer on a Contract or Permanent Basis.
- Achievement of performance and economy targets
- To improve the engine design through test techniques, with a focus on full load performance, steady state calibration and fuel economy
- Responsible for Performance and Economy technology projects as assigned
- Guide and instruct the selected test facility personnel in order to improve the engine design through test techniques, with a focus on full load performance, steady state calibration and fuel economy
- Support change in terms of the Performance and Economy work, in terms of ‘smarter’ testing and predictive techniques.
- Use a Design Of Experiments approach to reduce the actual test duration and hence offer the business a cost saving.
- Validate fuel economy improvement claims and correlate the predictive tools used to help define the technology roll out plan.
- Help to select the technology features that offer CO2 improvements without degrading the vehicle attributes.
- Develop skills within the Development team through coaching, including our clients Chinese colleagues.
- Provide Programme Managers / workstream leaders with status reports and resource support within the budget constraints of their approved programmes.
- Determine the priority across projects and ensure that it is conducted in the most efficient manner.
- Ensure that all P&E studies are appropriately documented.
- Make design revision recommendations based on predictive and physical test results, optimise the gas exchange process.
- Keep abreast of the latest technology advances from a product and facility perspective.
- Make appropriate use of external consultancies/ Universities
- Assist in raising the appropriate paperwork for the release of funds for any outsource.
- Use MS Project to track timing against the overall Project plan. Highlight any deviation from plan at the earliest opportunity and instigate recovery plans.
- Deliver our clients products to all ISO standards for System Integration that meets or exceeds the required project VTS targets.
- Lead development of new SW functionality through the use of rapid prototype SW tool sets. E.g. Intecrio, e-hooks, Simulink RTP etc.
- Lead development activities for the system integration requirements, specifications and rapid prototype implementation for product software introduction including but not exclusive to FMEA, P-diagrams Functional Safety, ISO 26262.
- Priorities workload to ensure most effective use of resources and time
- Support the development of new calibration tools and techniques
- Ensure team have right ‘tools’ of the tasks to be undertaken
- To keep abreast of impact of Legislation on calibration needs inclusive of SI requirements going forward
- To liaise with colleagues within PT Electronic to ensure fully integrated EMS calibration activities are undertaken, in the most effective way
- Support EMS supplier liaison and supplier technical development
- To undertake benchmarking where appropriate
- Work with workstream teams to ensure test plans and activities reflect needs of calibration and Business needs
- To support in the development and coaching of Calibration staff Globally – UK and China
- At least 3 years experience, Petrol or Diesel engines.
- Degree or equivalent in Mechanical Engineering or Automotive Engineering.
- Proficient in Powertrain P&E Predictive techniques,
- Familiar with Bosch EMS, ETAS/INCA.
- Excellent knowledge of the gas exchange process.
- GT Suite
- Mathworks MBC
- 8D Problem resolution
- Capable of Managing external consultancies, defining the scope and monitoring progress to plan.
- Supplier interface skills.
- Prepared to challenge the ‘status quo’ through an inquisitive nature.
- Attention to detail and good communication skills.
- Ability to plan activities through continually changing priorities whilst recognising the wider business need.
- A team player.
- Enthusiastic, self-motivated and determined to succeed.
- Full driving licence.
- Flexible and prepared to work overseas as the business needs.
- Design for Six Sigma knowledge or qualification required – full training will be provided by the company.