Type of Job: Contract/Permanent
Our client is one of the largest automotive manufacturers in the world with operations in both the UK and China. They have ambitious growth plans to build on their past success through the development and introduction of class leading products. In order to achieve their growth plans, our client is seeking to strengthen its engineering team through the recruitment of highly competent professionals to join existing teams working on current and future engineering projects of strategic importance to the Company. They are currently recruiting for an EMS System Integration / Diagnostics Engineer.
- To develop Engine Management Systems to meet legislative and functional specifications to meet and exceed customer requirements.
- Carry out activities to include but not limited to Verification, Validation and Reporting of EMS Diagnostic & OBD functionality working towards Engineering sign off. .
- Able to undertake PT project planning of PT Electronic System projects and present to Senior Management and proposals for consideration, and execute the projects that are approved.
- To be a key member of the Powertrain Integration team, driving the implementation of latest available technologies to ensure the competitiveness and success of the company’s vehicles. .
- Reporting to the Calibration & SI Manager for EMS & TCU Electronic Function activity.
- Creation / Support in developing Functional Specifications – including OBD diagnostic specification, Component FMEA’s and Fault Tree Analysis (FTA).
- EMS Functionality (Cruise Control, ASL, Stop Start, Immobiliser, Electronic Throttle Control etc)
- Verification , validation and reporting of EMS functionality in support of the VVP&R sign-off
- Component Integration
- Software fault diagnosis / report throughout S/W release phases. Vehicle build support and associated diagnosis
- Support Calibration team in OBD and diagnostic activity.
- Prioritise workload to ensure the requirements of the New Product Introduction (NPI) process are achieved for new product or modification introductions.
- Develop skills within the team through team working and use of personal development reviews to identify development needs and set challenging personal objectives.
- Work closely with Test Operations; ensure test plans are available so that the right facilities are made available at the appropriate time, whether in the UK or China.
- Ensure all data and reports are appropriately documented.
- Assist in developing EMS sign off criteria. Highlight any deviation from plan at the earliest opportunity and instigate recovery plans.
- Ensures that the appropriate test standards are applied and are reviewed / updated as technology progresses.
- Influence the development programme through experimental techniques.
- Support development and use of new technologies within the department.
- Support supplier selection process.
- The role requires frequent overseas travel to Shanghai, and climatic test locations
- Deliver our clients products to all ISO standards for System Integration that meets or exceeds the required project VTS targets.
- Lead development of new SW functionality through the use of rapid prototype SW tool sets. E.g. Intecrio, e-hooks, Simulink RTP etc.
- Lead development activities for the system integration requirements, specifications and rapid prototype implementation for product software introduction including but not exclusive to FMEA, P-diagrams Functional Safety, ISO 26262.
- Priorities workload to ensure most effective use of resources and time
- Support the development of new calibration tools and techniques
- Ensure team have right ‘tools’ of the tasks to be undertaken
- To keep abreast of impact of Legislation on calibration needs inclusive of SI requirements going forward
- To liaise with colleagues within PT Electronic to ensure fully integrated EMS calibration activities are undertaken, in the most effective way
- Support EMS supplier liaison and supplier technical development
- To undertake benchmarking where appropriate
- Work with workstream teams to ensure test plans and activities reflect needs of calibration and Business needs
- To support in the development and coaching of Calibration staff Globally – UK and China
- Significant and demonstrable experience within an Engine Management System delivery team, either with OEM or a Consultancy.
- Minimum HND in Electronic Engineering or similar relevance.
- Working knowledge of MATLAB an advantage.
- Have experience of the complete product development cycle from conception through to implementation and then on into current engineering.
- Good understanding of INCA, CANalyzer (or similar) and other propriety tools (e.g. ETAS).
- Knowledge of the Chinese automotive / OEM industry an advantage.
- Ability to prioritise, separating what’s important from what’s urgent.
- Good understanding of competitors products.
- Strong future thinking, out of the box thinking – able to identify new opportunities.
- Knowledge of Rapid Prototype SW application systems (Intecrio).
- Attention to detail and good communication skills.
- Ability to interpret results and manipulate data using spreadsheets or databases.
- Full driving licence.
- Design for Six Sigma knowledge or qualification required – full training will be provided by the company
Good working knowledge of torque structure based EMS.