Type of Job: Contract/Permanent
Our client is one of the largest automotive manufacturers in the world with operations in both the UK and China. They have ambitious growth plans to build on their past success through the development and introduction of class leading products. In order to achieve their growth plans, our client is seeking to strengthen its engineering team through the recruitment of highly competent professionals to join existing teams working on current and future engineering projects of strategic importance to the Company. They are currently recruiting for a Base Engine and Vehicle calibration Engineer.
- To develop Gasoline EMS Calibrations to meet legislative emissions and vehicle characteristic requirements for a range of engines using PFI and GDI fuel systems, both naturally aspirated and turbocharged.
- Carry out activities to include but not limited to the delivery of driveability, emissions, climatic and altitude for Global Markets (EU and China) through test bed and vehicle use. These activities will include hot and cold climate tests and support for the necessary regulatory on-board diagnostics testing with frequent travel, including some to China
- Able to assist with PT project planning and proposals under consideration and equally be a pro-active team member within Powertrain Integration leading and/or assisting in the implementation of new process improvements to ensure our clients competitiveness and success moving forward
- Reporting to the PTI Snr Manager for Gasoline EMS Calibration activity.
- Be a team player within gasoline calibration team in the delivery of gasoline calibration activities.
- Assist the PTI Snr Manager with status reports and appropriate completed sign off documentation for the respective allotted vehicle programme.
- Support weekly team meetings and technical reviews.
- Deliver Powertrain EMS calibration development in vehicle, on chassis rolls and engine dynamometer.
- Assist Ride and Drive events and perform competitor benchmarking activities.
- Assist in developing EMS calibration sign off criteria.
- Ensure that the appropriate test standards are applied and are reviewed / updated as technology progresses.
- Support development of and use of, new technologies and/or processes within the department.
- Support in-market and environment testing.
- The role requires frequent overseas travel to climatic test locations and to Shanghai
- Deliver products to all legal emissions standards and meeting or exceeding the required project VTS targets.
- Work areas of vehicle and dynamometer calibration for emissions, driveability and start.
- Manage effective delivery of all assigned aspects of the calibration task.
- Support calibration programme team leader in managing priorities workload to ensure most effective use of resources and time including environmental test trips.
- Support report out on the programme calibration status.
- Execute programme rectification plans.
- Support the development of new calibration tools and techniques including DOE.
- To keep abreast of impact of Legislation needs inclusive of calibration requirements going forward.
- Liaise with colleagues within SI, OBD and PT Electronic to ensure fully integrated EMS calibration activities are undertaken, in the most effective way.
- Directly support current market and or other feature team calibration requests.
- Support EMS supplier liaison and supplier technical development.
- To undertake benchmarking where appropriate.
- Work with workstream teams to ensure test plans and activities reflect needs of calibration and Business needs.
- To support Calibration staff Globally – UK and China.
- Up to 5 years experience within an Engine Calibration delivery team, either with OEM or a consultancy.
- Minimum HND in Mechanical Engineering or similar relevance. .
- Good working knowledge of Bosch EMS and ETAS INCA toolset. MATLAB experience desirable. .
- Knowledge of European emissions legislation. .
- Knowledge of the Chinese automotive / OEM industry an advantage. .
- Ability to prioritise, separating what’s important from what’s urgent. .
- Good understanding of competitors products. .
- Strong future thinking, out of the box thinking – able to identify new opportunities. .
- Exceptional communication skills. .
- Legal ability to work within the UK. .
- Full UK or EU driving licence. .
- Design for Six Sigma knowledge or qualification required – full training will be provided by the company. .