Type of Job: Contract/Permanent
Our client is one of the largest automotive manufacturers in the world with operations in both the UK and China. They have ambitious growth plans to build on their past success through the development and introduction of class leading products. In order to achieve their growth plans, our client is seeking to strengthen its engineering team through the recruitment of highly competent professionals to join existing teams working on current and future engineering projects of strategic importance to the Company. They are currently recruiting for a Powertrain Performance Engineer.
- Achievement of the performance and economy targets.
- To improve the engine design through test techniques, with a focus on full load performance, steady state calibration and fuel economy.
Responsible for the Performance and Economy technology projects as assigned
- Guide and instruct the selected test facility personnel in order to improve the engine design through test techniques, with a focus on full load performance, steady state calibration and fuel economy.
- Support change in terms of the Performance and Economy work, in terms of ‘smarter’ testing and predictive techniques
- Use a Design Of Experiments approach to reduce the actual test duration and hence offer the business a cost saving.
- Validate fuel economy improvement claims an correlate the predictive tools used to help define the technology roll out plan.
- Help to select the technology features that offer CO2 improvements without degrading the vehicle attributes.
- Develop skills within the Development team through coaching, including team members from China.
- Provide Programme Managers / workstream leaders with status reports and resource support within the budget constraints of their approved programmes.
- Determine the priority across projects and ensure that it is conducted in the most efficient manner.
- Ensure that all P&E studies are appropriately documented.
- Make design revision recommendations based on predictive and physical test results, optimise the gas exchange process.
- Keep abreast of the latest technology advances from a product and facility perspective.
- Make appropriate use of external consultancies/ Universities
- Assist in raising the appropriate paperwork for the release of funds for any outsource.
- Use MS Project to track timing against the overall Project plan. Highlight any deviation from plan at the earliest opportunity and instigate recovery plans.
- Progressing our chosen P&E technology projects to a point of Concept readiness
- Defining the performance specification of our new engines, in order to achieve the product targets
- At least 10 years experience, Petrol or Diesel engines.
- Degree or equivalent in Mechanical Engineering or Automotive Engineering.
- Proficient in Powertrain P&E Predictive techniques
- Familiar with Bosch EMS, ETAS/INCA.
- Excellent knowledge of the gas exchange process
- GT Suite
- Mathworks MBC
- 8D Problem resolution
- Capable of Managing external consultancies, defining the scope and monitoring progress to plan.
- Supplier interface skills.
- Prepared to challenge the ‘status quo’ through an inquisitive nature.
- Attention to detail and good communication skills.
- Ability to plan activities through continually changing priorities whilst recognising the wider business need.
- A team player.
- Enthusiastic, self-motivated and determined to succeed.
- Full driving licence.
- Flexible and prepared to work overseas as the business needs.
- Design for Six Sigma knowledge or qualification required – full training will be provided by our client