Type of Job: Contract/Permanent
Our client is one of the largest automotive manufacturers in the world with operations in both the UK and China. They have ambitious growth plans to build on their past success through the development and introduction of class leading products. In order to achieve their growth plans, our client is seeking to strengthen its engineering team through the recruitment of highly competent professionals to join existing teams working on current and future engineering projects of strategic importance to the Company. They are currently recruiting for a OBD IUMPR Calibration Engineer.
- To develop Gasoline & Diesel EMS Calibrations to meet legislative OBD and IUMPR requirements for a range of engines using DI, PFI and GDI fuel systems, both naturally aspirated and turbocharged.
- Carry out activities to include but not limited to the delivery of OBD calibration for Global Markets (EU and China) through test bed and vehicle use. These activities will include hot and cold climate tests with frequent travel, including some to China.
- Able to assist with PT project planning and proposals under consideration and equally be a pro-active team member within Powertrain Integration leading and/or assisting in the implementation of new process improvements to ensure our clients competitiveness and success moving forward.
- Reporting to the PTEC Snr Manager
- Assist in developing the Gasoline OBD calibration team, programme plans, RFQ generation and ensuring that the calibration activities are conducted to time and cost
- Provide the PTI Snr Manager with status reports and appropriate completed sign off documentation for the respective allotted vehicle programme
- Support weekly team meetings and technical reviews
- Responsible for Powertrain EMS OBD calibration development in vehicle, on chassis rolls and engine dynamometer
- Assist in developing EMS OBD calibration sign off criteria
- Ensure that the appropriate test standards are applied and are reviewed / updated as technology progresses
- Support development and use of new technologies and/or processes within the department
- Support in-market and environment testing
- Support supplier selection process
- The role requires frequent overseas to overseas test locations and to SMTC Shanghai
- To perform OBD and IUMPR engine calibration which meets or exceeds the required project VTS and legal targets
- To perform tasks in the most effective way of resource and time
- Support OBD/IUMPR calibration engineering report outs to Senior Management
- Support the development of new calibration tools and techniques to process improve within our client going forward
- Work on environmental test trips for complete robustness testing for IUMPR and OBD calibration
- To keep abreast of impact of Legislation on OBD and IUMPR calibration needs
- To liaise with colleagues within Vehicle Calibration, System Integration & Electrical to ensure fully integrated OBD/IUMPR calibration activities are undertaken, in the most effective way
- Support EMS supplier liaison and supplier technical development
- To undertake benchmarking where appropriate
- Work with Workstream teams to ensure test plans and activities reflect needs of calibration and Business needs
- To support in the development and coaching of Calibration staff Globally – UK and China
- At least 5 years experience within an Engine OBD Calibration delivery team, either within an OEM or a consultancy.
- Minimum HND in Mechanical Engineering or similar relevance.
- Good working knowledge of Bosch EMS and ETAS INCA toolset. MATLAB experience desirable
- Have experience of the complete product development cycle from conception through to implementation and then on into current engineering.
- Good working knowledge of European emissions legislation.
- Knowledge of the Chinese automotive / OEM industry an advantage.
- Good Broad knowledge of all Vehicle/Powertrain Mechanical Systems and components with an understanding of System Integration within the overall Vehicle delivery process.
- Ability to prioritise, separating what’s important from what’s urgent.
- Good understanding of competitors products.
- Strong future thinking, out of the box thinking – able to identify new opportunities.
- Exceptional communication skills.
- Legal ability to work within the UK.
- Full UK or EU driving licence.
- Design for Six Sigma knowledge or qualification required – full training will be provided by the company