Type of Job: Contract/Permanent
Our client is one of the largest automotive manufacturers in the world with operations in both the UK and China. With 2012 vehicle sales in excess of 4.5 million they have ambitious growth plans to build on their past success through the development and introduction of class leading products. In order to achieve its growth plans, our client is seeking to strengthen its engineering team through the recruitment of highly competent professionals to join existing teams working on current and future engineering projects of strategic importance to the Company.
They are currently looking for CAE Crash Engineer to join their team in Birmingham
Overall purpose of the Job:
- CAE engineer for the UK technical centre working on advanced architecture development
- Provide CAE technical support for the development of steel BIW structures and vehicle sub-systems to identified performance targets.
- Support the UK based Centres of Competence by providing insightful feedback of CAE analysis and recommendations to address structural deficiencies
- CAE method and technique development for pre Gateway 7project support.
- A CAE specialist in the Hyperworks and LS Dyna suites of programs providing crash analysis and optimization support to vehicle concepts being developed by the Advanced Engineering team.
- CAE model build or morph, load, constrain, debug and perform independent analysis.
- Perform standard vehicle crash simulation load cases to global standards including frontal impact ODB, FFB, side barrier impact, side pole impact, rear impact, low speed damage, and pedestrian.
- Provide direction and recommendations to COC engineers based on simulation output.
- Complete optimisation studies to provide direction for target achievement and weight reduction.
- Develop improvements in CAE analysis methods for use prior to the G7 gateway and which are complimentary to the main programme CAE analysis conducted by the team in Shanghai
Scope of the Job
- Provide CAE support for crash related load cases on concepts being studied by advanced engineering.
- Evaluate designs to agreed load cases and provide direction to achieve targets and minimise weight.
- Develop non linear crash optimisation capability to improve the feasibility and quality of concepts proposed by advanced engineering.
Skills and knowledge required:
- Will have a thorough understanding of the FE techniques and processes required to simulate all structural (local and global) load cases and a good understanding of the limitations and confidence levels (accuracy) in these techniques.
- Should have particular expertise in performing vehicle structural development for crash performing simulation and being able to interpret the results.
- Should be familiar with Optimization techniques and capable of developing the use of these tools to support advanced engineering applications.
- Should be trained and must have experience of the following CAE software:
Altair HyperWorks (HyperMesh,HyperView), Primer, LS Dyna, This, D3Plot and reporter.
- Should be proficient in PowerPoint and Excel and possess good presentation skills.
- Ability to devise commercially focused engineering proposals based on an understanding of manufacturing / assembly processes / constraints.
- Should have a thorough understanding of the typical issues to be addressed in steel body vehicle development and experience of the CAE methodologies to address these.
- Any experience in the following would also be beneficial: Catia V5, Teamcentre, LS-Opt.
- Should be able to review and guide knowledge documents (EKB)